June 2018 Fukuoka Now
We enjoyed fine weather in Fukuoka this spring, but now it’s time to welcome in the summer season - check out our guides!
May 28, 2018
Fukuoka Firefly Watching Guide 2018
It’s the start of firefly viewing season in Kyushu, so we’ve rounded up some of the best local hotaru festivals!
May 25, 2018
Guide to Kitakyushu, Shimonoseki and the Kanmon Straits
The Kanmon Straits. This narrow strip of water is all that separates the islands of Honshu and Kyushu...
Jun 11, 2018
The New Unzen Kyushu Hotel – Luxury Hot Spring
Kyushu Island is famous for its excellent hot springs, and we revisited one of our favorite areas for onsen: Unzen, Nagasaki Prefecture.
Jun 1, 2018
- Saga Develops New Type of Strawberry Saga Prefecture has revealed plans to introduce a new variety of strawberry to the market this winter. The prefectural assembly made the announcement on June 14th. The fruit has taken seven years to develop and is seen as a successor to the popular Sagahonoka strawberry. The new variety, which will be shipped out to... More
- Daimaru Fukuoka Tenjin to Undergo Renovation Daimaru Fukuoka Tenjin is planning to undertake a multi-billion yen renovation, which will start in 2019 and last for three years. The refurbishment will focus on the women's fashion section of the department store. A special project called... More
- US-Japan Friendship Cocktail Contest Winner Decided! On June 8, the US Consulate in Fukuoka hosted its second annual US-Japan Friendship Cocktail Contest in which nine finalists representing bars from Osaka to Kagoshima prepared cocktails they conceived to celebrate the unique bilateral friendship between the two nations. This year’s theme was... More
- New Multilingual Electronic Information Boards In Tenjin The vicinity maps renewal project launched by Fukuoka City Transportation Bureau at Tenjin Station was completed on June 12. The renewal project was supposed to finish on May 1, but was delayed once after a panel experienced an electrical overload. The multilingual electric... More
- Hyatt Regency Fukuoka to Reopen Under New Brand in 2019 FJ hotels announced on June 8 that the Hyatt Regency Fukuoka hotel will be closed in May 2019 and will reopen in winter 2019 under a different brand. The new brand will be a premium specialized hotel with all facilities renewed. The plans for renovation include... More