Fukuoka Now attended the pre-opening event at the new Kitakyushu Costco warehouse located in Yahatanishi-ku. Hundreds of VIP guests, suppliers and staff attended. Costco co-founder Jim Sinegal and other executives for head office were in attendance, as was Ken Theriault, Country Manager, Japan – the man who opened the very first Costco in Japan in Hisayama, Fukuoka back in 1999. So, what’s new and how does the Kitakyushu Costco compare to Hisayama? Here’s a few points – and check out the photo gallery!
The Kitakyushu warehouse:
• is slightly larger than Hisayama
• has over 900 parking spaces
• has a prescription drug counter
• has a much larger and more comfortable hearing aid testing facility.
• has the tire shop is inside the same building as the warehouse
• serves Pepsi, not Coca Cola drinks (other warehouse will switch soon too)
• is the only warehouse to stock and sell the premium USDA Prime Beef (in addition to USDA Choice and USDA Select brands) – for now.
• has 30~40 Kitakyushu opening specials – look for the yellow signs – for the next 2 week period
• has giant Costco Teddy Bears in stock (now, but you’ll have to hurry!)
• is selling locally grown flower, such as roses from Yame, Fukuoka.
Address: 1-2-12 Honjogakkendai, Yahatanishi-ku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka Prefecture.
Google map link: http://goo.gl/maps/3qPvO