Fukuoka is a city filled with interesting places to visit: temples, shrines, historical sites, parks, and shopping districts. Of course, the buses and trains are convenient, but if the weather is nice, Fukuoka Now recommends cycling as an alternative. There are many shops selling cheap bicycles, whether they are brand new or second-hand. However, since many foreigners come to Fukuoka on vacation, we thought it would be helpful to publish a guide on how and where to rent bikes in Fukuoka. Here is a small selection, just for your thighs:
Shikanoshima, with its long costal roads, is a favorite destination for cyclists. And with the recent opening of Shikashim Cycle near the island entrance, it now has an excellent place to rent bicycles, rest, and enjoy refreshments. This flexible facility even offers tourist information. The cafe menu includes: coffee, sodas, beer and even popcorn! They have three Bianchi mountain bikes available for now, however they plan to have a total of six by the end of 2014.
• Price: ¥2,000 for 3 hours, then ¥500 for every 30min + ¥3,000 for deposit
• Hours: 11:00~18:00
• 090-5028-0364, you can call to make a reservation
• 417-2 Shikanoshima, Higashi-ku
• https://www.facebook.com/shikashima.cycle / http://www.shikashima-cycle.com
There are a few Cross Country shops in Fukuoka, but the Nakasu and Hawks Town shops are the only ones to provide rent-a-bike services. You can choose between cross bikes, recommended for the sport-oriented activities and middle to long distances excursions (more than 10km), and “mini vélo” (with small wheels) which are better suited for shorter trips. You can also rent Seaside bikes there.
• Price: Nakasu: ¥1,080 for up to four hours: ¥2,160/day (~20:00) + ¥2,000 deposit, Hawks Town: ¥1,080/day (~21:00) + ¥2,000 deposit
• Stock: Nakasu- four bikes (two cross bikes and two mini vélo), Hawks Town: five bikes (three cross bikes and two mini vélo)
• Hours: 11:00 ~ 21:00
• Tel: 092-724-5234 (Nakasu), 092-832-7006 (Hawks Town)
• Nakasu Shop Address:3-12-34 Haruyoshi, Chuo-ku
Hawks Town Shop: 1F Hawks Town Mall, 2-2-1 Jigyohama, Chuo-ku
Seaside Bikes are really easy to use thanks to the tap-out, tap-in stations, similar to bike rental schemes in London and Paris. These classic bicycles are rentable and returnable at any Seaside Bike station, and you can check both parking availability and how much you will have to pay. VISA, MasterCard, JCB, American Express and Diners Club are accepted. Their website is multilingual English, Chinese and Japanese.
• Price: ¥200 for the first hour, and then 100 for each additional hour (Max: ¥1,000/day)
• Hours vary depending on the station
• Tel: 0120-9235-21
• Locations: Hawks Town station & Nakasu station (Cross Country shops mentioned above), Hilton Fukuoka Sea Hawk station, SRP station and other stations marked on their website.
Give Poichari a call or send them an email to make a reservation, then return it when you’re done. The best part is, if you live inside the Nishitetsu ¥100 bus zone, they’ll deliver the bike! There are three different types of bikes: mamachari (ladies bikes, four different models), mini bicycles (two models), and a beach cruiser. You can return your bicycle by leaving it in the city using a chain with a code provided by them when they give you the bike. You then have to call them or send them a mail to let them know where you parked the bike. Check the website for more info.
•Price: ¥1,500 for 12 hours; ¥1,800 for 24 hours; ¥2,000 for 36 hours; ¥2,300 for 48 hours; ¥2,600 for 60 hours, and then + ¥300 every 12 hours.
• Seven bikes available: four mamachari, two mini, one beach cruiser
• Hours: 10:00 ~ 21:00 (however, you can return the bikes at any hour, and you can leave a message if they do not answer the phone)
• Tel: 070-5273-3196 (10:00 ~ 18:00)
• E-mail: info(@)poichari.com
• Chuo-ku (home delivery)
Fukuoka Bike Tour
Finally, how about a Fukuoka Tour that includes historic sites, modern architecture and even shopping avenues? The tour provides rental bikes, so you don’t need to rent one beforehand.
• ¥5,000 (Incl. rental bike, guide, Japanese cake, insurance and tax). Payment required before tour departure.
• 10 persons can join
• 08:15 ~ 12:30, on Thu. and some other days (check the calendar on their website for more info)
• Meeting place: FukuChari office, 1F Reizenso Building, 9-35 Kamikawabata-machi, Hakata-ku
Fukuoka Cycling Map
Fukuoka Now’s “Now Map – Cycling Edition” provides visitors and foreigners with information and tips for safe and enjoyable cycling in Fukuoka. It carries information in three languages: Korean, English and Japanese. They are available for free at tourist information counters inside Hakata Station and Tenjin Station (near the entrance to Mitsukoshi Department Store). Read more: http://fukuoka-now.com/2012/09/fukuoka-cycling-map/
NOTE: The information presented here was gathered and summarized by Fukuoka Now staff. While we have done our best to check for accuracy there is a possible of error and facility details may change. If you notice any errors or changes please contact us. This report was originally written in November 2014.