Special Bus Tour for Fukuoka Now Readers! (just 20 seats per day – book soon!)
Feb. 24, 2018
English Speaking Guide – for the entire trip!
¥5,000 per person! – details below.
Yame, famous for green tea, has a long history of doll production and is a wonderful place to see hina matsuri doll displays. Yame is also an excellent area to view plum blossoms. On this tour we’ll enjoy these two highlights of spring as well as visit a traditional white-walled part of town and experience making washi, traditional Japanese paper. Starts at Nishitetsu Kurume Station. English speaking guide for the entire trip. ¥5,000/person. Full details on the Fukuoka Now website – only 20 seats per day – book now!
Walk through groves of thousands of beautifully maintained plum trees.
View a collection of illuminated bamboo art displays inside a long and dark wine cellar.
The buffet lunch includes some dishes made with locally sourced vegetables.
Try your hand at making washi, traditional Japanese paper.
Hakobina are hina dolls made by Yame artisans using materials including some locally sourced materials. See them at many locations around town participating in the Yame Bonbori Festival. Don’t miss the mesmerizing display of over 300 hina matsuri dolls from the Edo period, rare hakobina dolls and numerous hina decorations at Yokomachi Machiya Exchange Hall. Indulge yourself in this rich display of traditional Yame craftsmanship!
Experience time slip with a walk amongst the white-walled buildings of the old town.
Try on a kimono and walk around town. (optional extra ¥5,000/2 hours, for female participants only)
With only 20 seats available, reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. Book a seat for yourself and make new friends, or form a group and enjoy the day together. Ideal for both overseas visitors and local foreign residents. (Japanese nationals welcome too, if they book with non-Japanese.)
9:20 Meeting (in front of Nishitetsu Kurume Station)
10:20~11:20 Yume Tachibana Plum Blossom Viewing and bamboo illuminations
11:30~12:15 Shopping at Michi no Eki Tachibana
12:30~13:20 Lunch (Bengala Village)
13:25~16:30 Washi (Japanese paper) making experience at Yame Traditional Crafts Center, free time and tea time.
16:30 Departure (Yame Traditional Crafts Center)
17:15 Return (in front of Nishitetsu Kurume Station)
• Departure: 2/24 (Sat.) (Sorry, the Feb. 23 tour has been cancelled)
• Tour Price (per person): adult ¥5,000 (incl. lunch), child ¥3,000 (incl. lunch), below ES ¥1,000 (does not include lunch or bus seat) *payment by cash at the meeting spot on the day
• Number of participants: 20 person limit per day (individuals or groups from overseas, and Japanese provided they attend with at least one non-Japanese person in their group.)
• Handling company: Cha no Kuni (Land of Tea) Tourist Information Center (2-129 Moto-machi, Yame City)
• Planning and operation: FM Yame (1314-1 Kurogimachiima, Yame City)
• To reserve a seat – fill in this form: https://goo.gl/forms/mjgzbgb89zdyF5JH2
• Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (for questions about the tour and to cancel reservations)
• Child seats are not available
Should you wish to cancel, please email seven days before the trip. 30% of the fee will be required for cancellations three days before, 40% for cancellations one day before, and 50% for cancellations on the day.