Mayor Soichiro Takashima announced his manifesto towards the coming up election in November. Takashima promises to include building a ropeway between the Hakata Port area and the Hakata Station area, and aims to accelerate the progress he has accomplished in the past eight years as the city mayor. Below is a partial list of his goals.
– Accelerate invitation of international conferences and sports events
– Facilitate redevelopment of areas like Tenjin and Hakata Port
– Build a ropeway to solve traffic situation in city center
– Boost tourism around Hakata area – focusing on temples etc.
– Revitalize agriculture/fisheries
– Support startups and mid-small companies as part of National Strategic Special Zones plan
– Reinforce countermeasure against school bullying and truancy
– Continued supports for boosting birth rate and child rearing
– Encourage social activities and promote health of elderly people
– Design for a dementia-friendly city
– Encourage local activities such as resident’s association
– Utilize IT technologies to make the city disaster-resistant
– Promote sustainable financial and administrative operations
Source: Nikkei Shimbun, 10/30/2018 and The Sankei News, 10/31/2018
Disclaimer: Fukuoka Now posts summaries of Kyushu area related news for the benefit of those who cannot read Japanese. Contents posted here are mostly summaries of publicly posted news stories from Japanese media organizations. Errors might occur during translation. Those errors are ours, and not the news source’s. Photos and images are sourced separately and are for illustrative purposes only. Please use this form to send feedback and questions.