For its mizutaki (chicken hot pot), Toriden insists on only using ingredients from Kyushu. Toriden uses only whole chickens to make its soup, which takes six hours. The Toriden style is to start with the meat: breast and bone-in thigh; try it with locally grown green onions. To season, add ponzu sauce and yuzu gosho paste. Next, add the tsumire (minced chicken). After the meat, it’s veggie time! To finish, choose zosui (rice porridge) or ramen noodles. Cost: a la carte: ¥2,800/person; regular course: ¥3,800; deluxe course: ¥4,800. For lunch, enjoy a karaage set or the lunch of the month.
• Access: 3-minute walk from Nakasu-Kawabata Subway Sta.
• Seats: 128
• Foreign language menus: English, Chinese
• Cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners
• BYOB: Yes (Glass charge: ¥500 ea.)
• No smoking
• Lunch budget ¥2,500 / Dinner budget: ¥5,500
• Table charge: None
• WiFi: Available
Details accurate at time of publishing, but subject to change. First published in April, 2017.