Fukuoka Now Mail Magazine - FREE!
Did you know we publish a weekly email newsletter with a list of news topics and reports in English about Fukuoka and Kyushu? Stay subscribed to The Now! and you’ll never miss a beat - it's free!
Jun 15, 2020
Kurume Kasuri – Old Becomes New!
Textiles are an integral part of Japanese history and culture. From ancient times, people have learned to spin yarn out of...
May 12, 2020
Fukuoka COVID-19 news & information in English
Fukuoka Now is posting daily news summaries in English about the COVID-19 situation of importance to residents of Fukuoka and Kyushu. Keep yourself informed!
Apr 14, 2020
Fukuoka City Museum and Fukuoka Public Library
The four bronze statues in front of the museum and library were sculpted by...
Jun 29, 2020
- Heavy Rains Leave 56 Dead in Kyushu - Weather Warnings Remain in Effect Heavy rain continues to hit the most of Kyushu and has resulted in fifty-six confirmed deaths, one cardiopulmonary arrest, and eleven reports of missing persons. The toll is expected to increase as search and rescue operations continue. While the Fukuoka Regional Headquarters of Japan Meteorological Agency announced a lowering of its heavy rain alert for northern Kyushu as of 11:30 today, the risk of sub-disasters remains high. Areas neighboring Chikugo River (Oita, Fukuoka, and Saga) Yamakuni River (Oita) Kikuchi River (Kumamoto) and other local rivers with already-high water levels could be hit by sudden flooding and the residents are strongly advised to remain on guard. More
- Vinegar Specialty Shop Opends in Fukuoka City Okawa City-based vinegar brewery, Shobunsu, opened its first specialty shop in Fukuoka City on July 4. Located on the Keyaki-dori Ave. in Chuo Ward, the shop sells vinegar products suitable for drinking and cooking. Umasu (¥399/300ml,) Vinegar Cider (¥302/245ml,) multi-use dressing... More
- Over 20,000 Companies in Fukuoka Applied for Subsidies The number of businesses that applied for Fukuoka Prefecture’s anti-coronavirus financial aid program surpassed 20,000. Amongst them, 12,000 had been approved for subsidies (¥500,000 for mid and small-sized companies, ¥250,000 for self-employed workers) as of June 23. The prefecture expects... More
- Thai AirAsia Flights Between Fukuoka and Bangkok to Resume Thai AirAsia flights between Fukuoka and Bangkok (Don Mueang Airport) will resume on September 2. Approval for resumption of the international passenger flight was issued by Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and... More
- Luxurious Bus Tour with Special Experiences in Arita and Hasami A luxurious bus tour for adults packed with unique experiences to the famous pottery towns of Arita and Hasami has been announced. The first tour since the recent shutdown "Legends of Arita/Hasami: A tour featuring the fine foods, top chefs, and pottery" will be... More