With its yatai culture (mobile food stalls), Fukuokans are accustomed to eating outdoors, so it’s no surprise that kitchen cars are doing well here. The pandemic gave a massive boost to the operators of kitchen cars and food trucks. They liven up the lunchtime scene, especially in the business districts and wherever people gather.
Kitchen cars are becoming more diverse, with some offering freshly prepared food rivaling dishes offered at full-size restaurants. They can be found parked in vacant lots, parking lots at all hours, or only during lunchtime. Operating hours including dates, specific times, location, and menu, are often posted on their SNS channels such as Instagram and Facebook, so don’t check those before heading out.
Nowadays, even chefs who have their own restaurants and shops are serving food from kitchen cars. If you haven’t tried them recently, here are a few to start with. Check back here again as we plan to add more to the list.
Note: The situation regarding the spread of the COVID-19 virus changes daily. Please follow local authorities’ advice by practicing social distancing, wearing masks, and following other recommended guidelines. By sharing information about events and places to go, Fukuoka Now is NOT encouraging unsafe practices. Practice safe behavior for yourself and others.
And please share your favorite kitchen car via Fukuoka Now by using #fukuokanow on your post.
* One additional kitchen car was added to this list on June 11.
Pizzarevo began in Yakuin in 2011 with the concept of a “pizza revolution” by offering authentic oven-baked pizzas at low prices. And now they continue with dough made from wheat grown in Fukuoka Prefecture, Italian tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese from their kitchen car. Enjoy a freshly baked pizza in as little as three minutes after ordering.
Pizzarevo Kitchen Car
• Open: Irregular
• Business hours: 12:00~19:00 (hours are subject to change depending on location and weather conditions.)
• Location: In front of Meinohama Sta., Shimizu Center Park (Minami-ku), supermarket parking lots, etc.
• Main Menu: margherita ¥500, teriyaki chicken ¥680, quattro formaggi bianca ¥680, bolognese ¥680
Food Track Factory
Food Track Factory (yes they spell it Track not Truck), is a kitchen car inspired by the movie “Chef” and has a strong American west coast vibe. On weekdays, it’s parked near the Yakuin Six-way Intersection, and on weekends, he takes it to events. Their two signature bulldogs also come to work from time to time. The featured item is of course the Cuban sandwich with roast pork, cheese, and pickles sandwiched between two pieces of bread and grilled to a crisp with butter, and garlic shrimp!
Food Track Factory
• Open: Mon., Wed. ~ Fri.
• Business hours: 17:00~25:00
• Location: 2-3-12 Imaizumi, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka (Yakuin Six-way Intersection Parking No.3)
• Main Menu: cuban sandwich ¥780, garlic shrimp ¥1,200, nachos & chips ¥400~, whisky and soda ¥500~
Vietnamese Cuisine Xinchao
Xinchao is a Vietnamese kitchen car operated by Fukuoka’s long-established Vietnamese restaurant, Southern Cross (Minamijuujisei). Their Pho (rice noodle) uses a traditional soup made from an old family recipe that brings out the flavor of vegetables and chicken. You can also enjoy authentic Vietnamese dishes such as mi xao, a fried noodle dish that is a staple of Vietnamese street stalls, and banh mi, a crispy baguette sandwich.
Vietnamese cuisine Xinchao
• Closed: Thu.
• Business hours: 10:00~18:00
• Location: Kyushu area
• Main Menu: chicken pho ¥700, banh mi ¥600, mi xao ¥600
The Sabineko Shokudo, named after the owner’s former restaurant, specializes in grilled sandwiches. The most popular is the Cuban sandwich, made with home-cooked roast pork and roast beef, plenty of cheddar cheese, and homemade pickles on buttered bread, pressed and grilled. Other popular sandwiches include the handmade chili con carne sandwich on a pita and the honey cheese hot sandwich with vanilla ice cream. The kitchen car can be found at event venues.
• Open: Mainly on weekends
• Business hours: 10:00~17:00 *event hours depend on the venue
• Location: Maizuru Park, each event venue, etc.
• Main Menu: cuban sandwich ¥500, 2pcs set ¥900, chilli con carne pita sandwich ¥500, honey cheese ¥500
Bread, Espresso & Hakata &&
The popular bakery, with a shop inside the hotel “The Blossom Hakata Premier” near Hakata Station, now has a truck near Yakuin Terrace, in a vacant lot near Yakuin Odori Station. About 20 kinds of bread and pizza are delivered every morning from their Hakata shop, including the signature “Mou” bread with its glutinous texture and buttery aroma and the much-talked-about “Maritozzo,” filled with rum flavored fresh cream.
Bread, Espresso & Hakata &&
• Open: everyday (closed in case of bad weather)
• Business hours: 12:00~18:00
• Location: Yakuin Terrace (2-1-5 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka)
• Main Menu: Mou ¥350, French toast ¥680, scone sandwich ¥350, maritozzo ¥380
This kitchen car specializes in bowls (rice bowls) made with Hakata Wagyu beef and rice sourced directly from a black Wagyu beef ranch in Yanagawa that practices recycling-based farming. A5-ranked wagyu beef raised with love and care is placed over (pesticide-free grown) white rice cooked, and vegetables from Itoshima are combined to make well-balanced and healthy meals.
• Open: Tue., Thu., Fri.
• Business hours: 11:30~13:30
• Location: Hakata Prime East, in front of Momochi AI building, Yakuin Terrace
• Main Menu: Wagyu Soboro Bowl ¥600, Wagyu Karubi Bowl ¥850, Wagyu Double Bowl (lean beef yakiniku & marbled beef yakiniku) ¥900 and more five meals.
Soup Truck Megusta
Additive-free hearty soups with plenty of vegetables are this kitchen car theme. Three kinds of soups are prepared every day, and the menu changes daily or weekly. Variations include tomato flavor, soy milk flavor, and spicy coconut milk flavor. The soups can be ordered alone or as a set with side dishes such as mackerel lemon sandwiches or salads with more than 20 kinds of vegetables and nuts. The same people run it as the popular standing bar, Megusta, so the prices are reasonable.
Soup Truck Megusta
• Open: Mon.to Fri.
• Business hours: 11:30~13:30, 15:00~21:30
• Location: 4-3-11-1 Watanabe-dori, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka (next to Fukuoka Tenjin Medical Rehabilitation Academy)
• Main Menu: soup (single) ¥450, salad set ¥980, bread set ¥580, mackerel sandwiches set ¥880 and more.
The Canadian flag and the red color of the kitchen car stand out in the tranquil scenery of the Tsuyazaki countryside. The Canadian owner, Travis (a.k.a. Tora-chan), and his international food are a hit with local residents and players of the nearby rugby team. Burritos, falafel, fish and chips, homemade scones, churros, and other international flavors are available.
* Report by Fukuoka Now, May 2020
• Closed: Mon., Tue.
• Business hours: 11:00~14:00 (Sat., Sun., hol. 11:00~16:00)
• Location: 5-22-3 Tsuyazaki, Fukutsu City, Fukuoka
• Main Menu: Burritos ¥550, Turkey Sandwich ¥650, Fish & Chips ¥750, falafel ¥330, homemade scone ¥160
This truck specializes in Thai and other Asian food stall dishes. Their yellow van is parked in the lot in front of the Momochi AI Building. Thai curry, gapao, and other side dishes with herbs and spices are served on rice in the local Thai style. You can choose the portion size of the rice, the number of side dishes, and the spiciness. It’s become so popular that we recommend you go a bit before noon to avoid lines and the inevitable sold-out sign.
• Open: Mon. to Fri.
• Business hours: 11:00~13:00 (until sold out)
• Location: 2-4 Momochihama, Sawara-ku, Fukuoka
• Main Menu: Thai street food side dish (one kind ¥500, two kinds ¥600, three kinds ¥700, all ¥800), soup of the day ¥100 and more
Originally written in May 2021.
Copyright Fukuoka Now – including all text, photos and illustrations. Permission required to re-use in any form. Meanwhile, feel free to link to this page.
NOTE: The information presented here was gathered and summarized by the Fukuoka Now staff. While we have done our best to check for accuracy, there might be errors and details may have changed. If you notice any errors or changes, please contact us. This report was originally written in May 2021.