Just like sakura, nanohana, otherwise known as field mustard, signals the start of spring in Fukuoka! Depending on the location, nanohana season runs from February to April in Fukuoka. The best time to view the flowers varies depending on the location, so check the official website or SNS for blooming conditions before you go. These little yellow flowers create beautiful sunshine-colored carpets, which are set off beautifully by blue springtime skies. Some places with nanohana will also have sakura, making for colorful vistas. Check out our guide for seven great nanohana viewing spots!
Nanohana Viewing Spots near Fukuoka
• Fukuoka City (2)
• Itoshima City (1)
• Koga City (1)
• Asakura City (1)
• Yukuhashi City (1)
• Takeo City, Saga (1)
Nokonoshima Island Park
This is one of the most famous nanohana viewing spots in Fukuoka! Throughout the year there are different flowers in bloom, and during spring you can see both sakura and nanohana. Nokonoshima Island Park covers 1.5 km2 of the northern part of Nokonoshima, which itself is located in Hakata Bay.
• Season: Early Mar.~ Mid-Apr.
• Nokonoshima, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka
• Open: Mon. ~ Sat. 9:00~17:30, Sun. & hol. 9:00~18:30
• Admission: adult ¥1,200, JHS and ES ¥600, 3 y.o. and older ¥400
• Access: approx. 10 min. by ferry from Meinohama (one-way: adult ¥230, child ¥120), approx. 13 min. by Nishitetsu bus from the Noko Ferry Terminal
• Parking: ¥500/day at the Nokonoshima Ferry drop-off point
Uminonakamichi Seaside Park
With an area of approximately 350 hectares, the sprawling park located between Hakata Bay and Genkai Sea is a beautiful venue for various flowers across the four seasons. It also has a zoo and petting area with animals such as guinea pigs and capybaras. The nanohana here can be viewed together with cherry blossoms from late March.
• Season: Late Dec.~ late Mar.
• 18-25 Saitozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka
• Hours: Mar. ~ Oct. 9:30〜17:30, Nov. ~ Feb. 9:30~17:00
• Admission fee: Adult ¥450, 65 y.o. & up ¥210, free for JHS and under
• Parking: ¥530/day
Fukufuku no Sato
Fukufuku no Sato is a farmer’s market in Itoshima where you can buy fresh fish and vegetables and during spring, 40,000 nanohana bloom across the fields in front of the market! Bring a camera for some photogenic shots of the nanohana with trains along the JR Chikuhi Line running in the background, or of the nanohana with the nearby sakura in bloom. Why not pick up tasty Itoshima treats from the market and have a picnic among the flowers? You can also pick nanohana and take them home. (¥110 per bag, unlimited picking).
Nanohana in bloom in Itoshima (Feb. 26, 2019)
• Season: Late Jan. ~ Mid-Apr.
• 6336 Nijo-fukui, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Open: 9:00~17:00
• Access: 15 min. on foot from JR Fukuyoshi Sta. (JR Chikuhi Line)
• Parking: free
This popular picnic spot boasts over 5,000,000 nanohana on a field measuring approximately 60,000 m2 spreading out like a huge yellow carpet. Their website is updated with current flowering status each week. The Nanohana Festival will be held on Mar 5 (Sun.) from 10:00 to 15:00, with sales of local agricultural products and stage events.
• Season: Late Feb. ~ late Mar.
• Mushiroushi, Koga City, Fukuoka
• Access: 5 min. by car via Koga IC (Kyushu Expressway)
• Parking: free
Harazuru Farm Station Basaro
Located near Harazuru Farm Station Basaro (a roadside rest area), this field of 600,000 nanohana is replanted every year by the staff – their efforts create a beautiful scene which visitors from in and outside the prefecture journey to visit. Enjoy a soak at nearby Harazuru Onsen and browse for omiyage at Basaro before taking in the view of nanohana. Flowering status can be checked on their official Instagram site.
• Season : Late Feb. ~ early Mar.
• Harazuru Farm Station Basaro
• 1665-1 Haki-kugumiya, Asakura, Fukuoka
• Access: 5 min. by car via Haki IC (Oita Expressway) or after getting off at Chikugo Yoshii Sta. on the Kyudai Main Line, 10 min. by taxi (approx. 4 km)
• Parking: free
Nagao, Yukuhashi City
In the foothills of Hiraodai, a karst area in the northeastern part of Fukuoka Prefecture, rapeseed oil is produced, and the local farming cooperatives (Shimosaki, Nagao, and Toriibaru) each cultivate rapeseed flowers on three farmlands (3 ha in total).
• Season: Early Apr. ~ Mid-Apr.
• 494 Nagao, Yukuhashi, Fukuoka
• Access: 20 min. on foot from JR Yukuhashi Sta. (JR Nippo Main Line)
• Parking: free
Takeo City, Saga
Baba no Yamazakura
Here at Baba no Yamazakura, a place known for its fresh air and water, a 120-year-old sakura tree grows on a small hill surrounded by a yellow carpet of nanohana flowers in spring. The sakura tree is also a designated natural monument of Takeo City. On a clear day, the pink petals of sakura combined with yellow nanohana and the blue sky make for a picturesque view not to be missed.
• Season: Late Mar. ~ Early Apr.
• 21236 Takeuchi-cho Mateno, Takeo City, Saga
• Access: approx. 20 min. by car via Takeo Kitagata IC (Kyushu Expressway)
• Parking: none
Originally written in March 2016, updated March 2023.
NOTE: The information presented here was gathered and summarized by the Fukuoka Now staff. While we have done our best to check for accuracy, there is a possibility of error and facility details may change. If you notice any errors or changes, please contact us. This report was originally written in March of 2016.