Well known for high-quality vegetables and fresh produce, Itoshima also has plenty of strawberry farms. At three of them, you can pick your own berries, while at some others you can buy by the box. The season runs between January and early May. It’s fun for families, a date or a dessert after visiting Itoshima’s oyster huts. Here are two farms. (season varies by year)
Yoshitaka Kanki has been growing strawberries here for six years and is proud to use organic fertilizers developed by Kyushu University. Instead of selling wholesale, all of his greenhouses are open to the public for pick-and-eat.
• Open: 10:00~15:00
• Closed: Irregular (check in advance)
• Pick-and-eat (60 min.): 13 y.o. and over ¥1,800, Takeaway: ¥2,000/1 kg
• 5966-3 Shima-sakurai, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
Hirohide Isomoto began berry farming seven years ago and has offered pick-and-eat for the last four seasons. After picking you can relax inside a cute hut and snack on chiffon cake with fresh creme, and of course, the berries you picked. For more strawberry desserts and drinks, stop by their full-service cafe, Ichigo Cafe Tannal, located less than five minutes away by car.
• Open: 10:00~14:00 (last 13:00)
• Closed: Tue. (reservations required for weekends one day in advance by 14:00 and by phone.)
• Pick-and-eat (45 min.): 13 y.o. and over ¥2,100, Takeaway: ¥250/100 g
• 353-1 Shima-yoshida, Itoshima City, Fukuoka