Yanagawa is referred to as Japan’s Venice because of its many canals along which gondolas travel and the boatmen offer interesting commentary and sing songs as the scenery passes by. In winter, you can enjoy a ride on a kotatsu bune: these boats are equipped with blankets, heaters and amazake (sweet sake) – all to guarantee to keep passengers warm! Note that from 2/12 (Fri.) to 2/19 (Fri.) is the “mizuochi” season where people around Yanagawa will clean up the river which means that river punting courses might be shortened.
• 12/1 (Tue.) ~ 2/28 (Sun.)
• Adult: ¥1,500, 5 y.o. ~ ES: ¥800
• Yanagawa Kawakudari (canal boat) Course
• Five boat launches within a 10 min. walk from Nishitetsu Yanagawa Sta.
1. Suigo Yanagawa Kanko: 1-6 Shimohyaku-cho, Yanagawa (0944-73-4343)
2. Yanagawa River Kanko: 46-1 Shinmachi, Yanagawa (0944-75-5050)
3. Yanagawa Kanko Kaihatsu: 329 Mitsuhashimachi Takahakate, Yanagawa (0944-72-6177)
4. Daito Enterprise: 18-9 Jogumachi, Yanagawa (0944-72-7900)
5. Jyoumon Kanko: 4-25 Shinhokamachi, Yanagawa (0944-72-8647)
• 0944-74-0891 (Yanagawa City Tourist Information Center)
Note: The situation regarding the spread of the COVID-19 virus changes daily. Please follow local authorities’ advice by practicing social distancing, wearing masks, and following other recommended guidelines. By sharing information about events and places to go, Fukuoka Now is NOT encouraging unsafe practices. Practice safe behavior for yourself and others.