Nightfall comes earlier as winter approaches, and Fukuoka City transforms into a glimmering spectacle as shops and public spaces display elaborate Christmas lights. Check out Fukuoka Now’s Illumination Guide for this year’s recommended spots. From Hakata Station area, Canal City Hakata and Tenjin area, to as far as Kitakyushu, and Nagasaki’s Huis Ten Bosch, our guide this year is bigger and better than ever! Happy holidays!
▷Large map – Winter Illumination Guide
Illumination spots in Fukuoka and other parts of Kyushu
• Hakata-ku, Fukuoka (6)
• Chuo-ku, Fukuoka (8)
• Sawara-ku, Fukuoka (1)
• Higashi-ku, Fukuoka (1)
• Tagawa-gun, Fukuoka (1)
• Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka (4)
• Kumamoto Prefecture (1)
• Nagasaki Prefecture (1)
JR Hakata Station: Hikari no Machi Hakata 2022 (Hakata, City of Lights)
This year marks the 12th anniversary of this winter festival in Hakata. The gently sparkling lights around Hakata Station welcome visitors old and new. The lit up, 70 m long path on the second floor deck of JR Hakata City, “LED Sky Walk”, is also a must see. Don’t forget to check out the Christmas Market taking place at JR Hakata Ekimae Hiroba too, with European-style stalls selling Christmas goods, foods and more (Nov. 11 to Dec. 25). You might also find yourselves reflected on the big screen – make sure to wave when you do!
• 11/10 (Thu.) ~ 1/11 (Wed.)
• Approx. 800,000 LED lights
• JR Hakata Ekimae Hiroba
• 1-1 Hakataeki-chuogai, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka (in front of JR Hakata Sta.)
Tsubame no Mori Illumination – JR Hakata City Rooftop
The rooftop of JR Hakata City, Tsubame no Mori, is a great spot for panoramic views of Fukuoka City. This Christmas the area will be lit up, including the approach to Tetsudo Shrine (railway shrine). Enjoy the illuminations and ride the mini train with your little tots. Drop by with the whole family!
• 12/5 (Fri.) ~ 1/11 (Wed.)
• Approx. 14,000 lights
• JR Hakata City
• 1-1 Hakataeki-chuogai, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka
Canal City Hakata: Canal Winter Illumination 2022
The illumination of Canal City creates an extraordinary space with lights spreading all over the building. Symbolic spots throughout the pavilion will be illuminated, including the “Wall of Light” that shines along the entire wall, and the “River of Light” that fills the canal from north to south, 180 meters long, with light. During the period, the fountain show and projection mapping show during the lighting hours will be a special version linked to the illumination.
• 11/18 (Fri.) ~ 2/28 (Tue.)
• 1-2 Sumiyoshi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka
Nakasu area: Nakasu Kibou no Hikari
Blue and gold LED lights will illuminate the streets of Nakasu, connecting the Hakata and Tenjin venues of the Christmas Market. A large tree will appear in front of the “Fukuhaku Deai Bridge” and the “Hotel Resol Trinity Hakata” hotel.
• 11/4 (Fri.) ~ 1/9 (Mon., hol.)
• Nakasu area, Fukuoka City (Nakasu Chuo-dori, Nakagawa-dori, Meiji-dori, Fukuhaku Deai Bridge)
Bayside Place Hakata: Illumination 2022~2023
This is an annual illumination that adds color to the Bay Area in winter. The entire building is lit up in neon colors, and the palm tree, deck fence, and adjacent Hakata Port Tower are also illuminated, creating a festive holiday atmosphere throughout the bayside area. Visitors can also enjoy reflections on the surface of the sea, which is a unique feature of the bayside area.
• 11/3 (Thu., hol.) ~ 3/26 (Sun.)
• 13-6 Chikkohonmachi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka
LaLaport Fukuoka: Wonder Forest / Cosmic Sparkling Illumination
LaLaport Fukuoka, which opens in April 2022, will welcome its first Christmas season with pop and colorful “futuristic” themed outdoor illumination and “mysterious forest” themed indoor Christmas decorations. When the lighting ceremony is held at 17:00 on Mon., Nov. 21, a giant 36-meter-high light arch and a 1.5-meter-diameter LED balloon that changes color when touched will appear in Oval Park. Inside the facility, a 4-meter-high Christmas tree and 30 other trees in collaboration with various stores will be set up for Christmas.
• 11/11 (Fri.) ~ 2/15 (Wed.)
• 6 Naka, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka
An illumination event that has been popular in Kobe City, Hyogo Prefecture, for more than 10 years makes its first appearance in Kyushu! The venue is the Step Garden of ACROS Fukuoka, also known as “Across Mountain.” Climb up to the rooftop while enjoying encounters with dinosaurs, birds, fish, giraffes, and other animals decorated under the theme of “Illumination ZOO”. After passing through the tunnel of light, you will emerge to see the night view of Tenjin from 60 meters above the ground. This is a rare opportunity to climb ACROS the city at night.
• 11/18 (Fri.) ~ 2/19 (Sun.) *rain or shine
• 18:00~22:00 (door ticket sales from 17:30~)
• Over JHS ¥1,500, under ES ¥800, free for children under 3 y.o.
• Step Garden, ACROS Fukuoka
• 1-1-1 Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
Tenjin Christmas Market 2022
The Christmas Market will also be held in the square in front of the city hall in Tenjin. Passing through a huge arch, a wooden Hutte and 100 life-sized Santa figurines welcome you! At the venue paella made in a massive pan as well as other foods will be on offer as well as traditional Christmas decorations.
Event details >> Christmas Market in Fukuoka 2022
• 11/21 (Mon.) ~ 12/25 (Sun.)
*Not open on Nov.26 (Sat.) and 27 (Sun.) due to another event.
• Weekdays 17:00~22:00, Sat., Sun. and hol. 12:00~22:00
• Fukuoka City Hall Fureai Hiroba, Elgala Passage
• 1-8-1 Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
Tenjin Chuo Park: Forest of Light
A symbolic tree has appeared and a new illumination spot has appeared in Tenjin Chuo Park, where the whole area will be illuminated. From the Tenjin Christmas Market, pass through ACROS Fukuoka, EAST and WEST of Tenjin Chuo Park, and Kihinkan to the Fukuhaku Deai Bridge. The city of Fukuoka in winter will be enveloped in a Christmas atmosphere.
• 11/17 (Thu.) ~ 1/9 (Mon., hol.)
• 1-1 Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
Tenjin Chikagai: Tenchika Xmas Illumination
The 590 m long north and south corridors of Tenjin Chikagai is decorated with 150 sparkling white Christmas trees for a European winter feel! Unlike many of Fukuoka’s illuminations, you need not wait till dark, as the Chikagai is lit throughout the day. The plazas of Tenjin Chikagai will also twinkle with the lights of 120,000 champagne gold-colored lights. Starting this year, the five entrances to the Tenjin Chikagai (East 3 to East 5) will also be decorated with illuminations.
• 11/3 (Thu. hol.) ~ 12/25 (Sun.)
• 5:30~24:30 (inside the underground), 17:00~24:40 (entrances)
• Approx. 120,000 lights
• Tenjin Chikagai
• 1~3, 2 Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
Ohori Park: Winter Illumination
This annual illumination began in 2010 in part to improve the moral of citizens and to make the park a place that citizens can be proud of. The Mizuki Bridge and Ukimi-dou, the symbols of Ohori Park, are decorated with LED lights to create a fantastic atmosphere that is different from that of the park during the daytime.
• 12/1 (Thu.) ~ 12/25 (Sun.)
• Mizuki Bridge, Nakanoshima Ukimi-do
• 1-2 Ohori-koen, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
• https://www.ohorikouen.jp/winter_illumination/ (to be updated late Nov.)
Hilton Fukuoka Sea Hawk: Christmas Illumination
During the holiday season at the Hilton Fukuoka Sea Hawk, a landmark in the Momochi area, the entire hotel will be lit up with spectacular illuminations! The entrance is decorated with light crystals, and the 40-meter-high atrium of Brasserie & Lounge Seala is illuminated with approximately 28,000 lights to set the mood for the holiday season. The annual Christmas Train, a diorama of Europe in winter with colorful trains and balloons, is now in operation in the 4th floor lobby.
• Illumination: 11/4 (Fri.) ~ 12/25 (Sun.) 17:00~0:00
• Christmas Train 11/4 (Fri.) ~ 1/4 (Wed.) 9:30~13:00, 15:00~21:00 (until 12:00 on 1/4)
• 2-2-3 Jigyohama, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
Fukuoka PayPay Dome: Winter Light Fantasy Illumination
The area around the PayPay Dome and BOSS E・ZO FUKUOKA in Seaside Momochi will be illuminated this winter. This year, in front of Gate 7 of the Fukuoka PayPay Dome, there will be illuminated objects with animal motifs and also places to take beautiful photos. At the adjacent Mark Is Fukuoka Momochi, Christmas trees on the second floor and the outdoor deck will be lit up, so you can enjoy Christmas illuminations there too.
• 11/23 (Wed., hol.) ~1/9 (Mon., hol.)
• 2-2-2 Jigyohama, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
Mark Is Fukuoka Momochi: Mark Is Merry Christmas Illumination
The 400-meter-long deck leading from Yokatopia Street to the PayPay Dome will be filled with blue lights, illuminating the night of Momochi with fantastic light.
• 11/23 (Thu., hol.) ~ 1/9 (Mon., hol.)
• 2F 2-2-1 Jigyohama, Chu-ku, Fukuoka
Fukuoka Tower: Christmas Illumination 2022
Christmas illuminations began on the exterior of Fukuoka Tower on November 13. Motives of snowflakes, ribbons, and other Christmas items wrap the tower as if it is a massive box of presents. This year, the lights will alternate every hour between a pattern of Christmas presents and a pattern with a large tree visible from the front.
• 11/18 (Fri.) ~ 12/25 (Sat.) *excl. 11/23, 11/27, 12/1
• 17:00~23:00 (12/23~12/25: ~24:00)
• 2-3-26 Momochihama, Sawara-ku, Fukuoka
Uminonakamichi Seaside Park: Uminaka Candle Night 2022
Feel the warmth of Christmas with the gently flickering glow of 10,000 candles artfully arranged by volunteers into a design with the theme “Kaleidoscope of Light – Happy Christmas to Everyone!” The design was chosen from submissions from the public. During the event, a candle night market selling Christmas goods, candle goods, and warm gourmet foods will also be open.
• 12/17 (Sat.) ~ 12/18 (Sun.), 12/24 (Fri.) ~ 12/25 (Sat.) *cancelled in case of inclement weather
• 17:30~21:00 (last entry 20:30)
• Park entry after 17:30: over 15 y.o. ¥290, 65 y.o. and over ¥210, free for JHS and under
• Outdoor theater, Wonder World
• 18-25 Saitozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka
• https://uminaka-park.jp/candle-night2022/ (the web page will be available at the end of Nov.)
Michi no Eki Oto Sakura Kaido Illumination
This is a winter tradition in the Oto-machi, known for its elaborate illumination with a new theme each year. The theme, which is based on the popular topic of the year, is a secret until the day of the lighting ceremony! With approximately 650,000 bulbs, the site is decorated in different areas, and visitors can enjoy a variety of illumination themes. This roadside station has a produce stand and a hot spring facility with an open-air bath. This year, a lighting ceremony will be held on Nov. 26 at 17:45, followed by fireworks at 18:00.
*The photo shows 2021’s illumination.
• 11/26 (Sat.) ~ 1/31 (Tue.)
• 1339 Imatobaru, Oto-machi, Tagawa, Fukuoka
Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka
Kokura Station: Kokura Illumination 2022
For 102 days, the city of Kokura will be overflowing with illumination! You can see elaborate illuminations at 20 locations in front of Kokura Station and the Murasaki River area, including a large, photogenic “KOKURA” monument and illumination laid out like a carpet along the Murasaki River.
• 11/4 (Fri.) ~ 2/14 (Tue.)
• JR Kokura Sta., Murasaki River are etc (Illumination Map)
• 1-1-1 Asano, Kokurakita-ku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka
Riverwalk Kitakyushu: Riverwalk Winter Hikari no Ongakusai
Riverwalk Kitakyushu, the popular commercial facility and landmark near Kokura Castle. The theme of this year’s illumination is a collaboration of sound and light. The largest Christmas tree in Kitakyushu, 15 meters high, is decorated with musical notes and ornaments, and for the first time, a keyboard-shaped lighting piano that reacts to sound and light when stepped on! An illumination show of sound and light will be held every 30 minutes for about 10 minutes every day after 18:00~, accompanied by music selected by crossFM.
• 10/28 (Fri.) ~ 2/28 (Tue.) *Christmas decoration and piano: until 12/25 (Sun.)
• Riverwalk Kitakyushu
• 1-1-1 Muromachi, Kokurakita-ku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka
Kanmon Kaikyo Candle Night
Mojiko and Shimonoseki will be filled with the light of 30,000 candles for two days. In the Mojiko area, a Christmas market will be held, with more than 24 stalls selling sundries, food, and other items. In the Shimonoseki area, Coffee Fes, a gathering of cafes, coffee stands, and kitchen cars currently operating in Shimonoseki, will be held.
• 11/19 (Sat.), 11/20 (Sun.)
• Admission fee ¥500 (only Shinsui Hiroba)
• Mojiko Retro Shinsui Hiroba, Chuo Hiroba, Dalian Friendship Memorial, Harbor deck, Sakae-machi Gintengai etc
• 11/19 (Sat.), 11/20 (Sun.)
• Karato Area (Shimonoseki City Hall Civic Plaza, Former Shimonoseki British Consulate, Tanaka Kinuyo Bunka-kan, Kameyama Hachimangu Shrine, Shimonoseki Nanbu-cho Post • Office *Simonoseki Nanbu-cho Post Office is open only on 19th.)
• Shimonoseki Station Area Eximachi Plaza (Nihon Ceremony Walk, in front of Daimaru Shimonoseki Store and Sea Mall, Shimonoseki Civic Activity Center)
Mojiko Retro: Illumination 2022
A total of 300,000 lights beautifully illuminate the historical buildings and various facilities in the Mojiko Retro area this winter season! Take a romantic stroll through the area and feel the nostalgic, retro vibe. Be sure to bring your camera to pose and take pictures at the many photo spots.
• 11/19 (Sat.) ~ 3/12 (Sun.)
• 17:30~24:00 (Nov. 19, the lights will be turned on at 18:30, on Dec. 31, the lights will be turned on until 5:00.)
• Mojiko Retro area
• Higashiminato-machi, Moji-ku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka
Kurokawa Onsen: Yuakari
This winter-only lighting event began in 2012 at Kurokawa Onsen in Kumamoto Prefecture, one of Kyushu’s leading hot spring resorts. Two-meter-high cylindrical lanterns made of bamboo cut from abandoned bamboo groves in Kurokawa and about 300 ball lanterns made of woven bamboo strips are hung from the Tanoharu River that flows through the hot spring resort area. The soft light of the lanterns, which are handmade one by one by people involved in Kurokawa Onsen, reflects on the surface of the river, creating a tasteful scene unique to the hot spring resort.
• 12/17 (Sat.) ~ 4/2 (Sun.)
• Sunset ~ 22:00
• Free admission
• Tanoharu River, Kurokawa Onsen
• 6594 Manganji, Minamioguni-machi, Aso-gun, Kumamoto
Huis Ten Bosch: Hikari no Machi Christmas
The “Kingdom of Light,” with the world’s largest illumination of 13 million bulbs shining throughout the city, looks like a European Christmas town. The Flower Passage will feature a powerful tree filled with bright red poinsettias.
• 11/6 (Sat.) ~ 12/26 (Sun.)
• Sundown ~ 22:00 (last entry 21:00) *pending season
• 1-1 Huis Ten Bosch-machi, Sasebo City, Nagasaki
>> View the Illumination Map on this larger map
Originally written Nov. 2016, updated November 2022.
NOTE: The information presented here was gathered and summarized by the Fukuoka Now staff. While we have done our best to check for accuracy, there might be errors and details may have changed. If you notice any errors or changes, please contact us. This report was originally written in Nov. 2016.