Since the 1990s, contemporary Asian art has become more visible as one of the mainstreams in the global art scene. This exhibition combines works from the collection by Miyatsu Daisuke, known as one of the top art collectors in Japan, and those from Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, presenting 95 artworks by 45 participating artists from East and Southeast Asia. During the exhibition period, satellite venues will be open at different locations in the city of Fukuoka. The artworks vividly captured emotions and sentiments evoked from wavering contemporary lives, which are also the very reflection of “ourselves” in the present.
• 9/15 (Thu.) ~ 12/25 (Sun.)
• 9:30~18:00 (Fri., & Sat., ~20:00)
• ¥500, HS & college ¥250, free for under JHS
• Closed: Wed. (open on 11/23, closed on 11/24)
• Fukuoka Asian Art Museum
• Riverain Center Building 7,8F 3-1, Shimokawabata-machi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka
1. Boat Race Fukuoka
At the BOAT RACE Fukuoka, gigantic balloon work by Korean artist Choi Jeong hwa will be on exhibit in the green grass area. On the East Stand, visitors will also encounter a colorful Bangladeshi rickshaw.
• 1-7-5 Nanotsu, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
• 9/23 (Fri., hol.) ~ 10/30 (Sun.) *except 9/29~10/4, 10/11~14, 10/21~24
• Entry fee ¥100
• Free use of the lawn from 9/30~10/3, and free shuttle bus service (International Conference • Center ⇔ Boat Race Fukuoka ⇔ Fukuoka Asian Art Museum)
Video Installation by a Singaporean artist Hilmi Johandi in an elegant space where the monk Sengai spent the last days of his life.
• 7-1 Gokusho-machi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka
• 9/27 (Tue.) ~ 10/10 (Mon., hol.) 10:00~17:00
• Free entry
Yoshizuka Little Asia Market
Video works reflecting on different societies and diverse cultures in Asian countries will be screened at Yoshizuka Little Asia Market, where the local community especially those who have roots in Asian countries are working to build networks.
• 9/23 (Fri., hol.) ~ 10/6 (Thu.)
• 10:00~17:00 (10/6: ~15:00)
• Free entry
• 1F 1-14-6 Yoshizuka, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka