For the third consecutive year, Kitakyushu hosts the prestigious World Rugby Women’s Sevens. Sevens, as the name implies, is played with seven members on each team instead of the traditional 15. It’s the fastest growing part of the rugby union since its introduction at the Rio Olympics where it thrilled viewers. Eleven core teams (Australia, China, Canada, England, Fiji, France, Ireland, New Zealand, Russia, Spain, USA) and the additional 12th home team (this time Japan) compete. The eight winning teams from the first day’s qualifying rounds battle in a speedy tournament on the second day (7 minutes in the first half, 2 minutes in half time, 7 minutes in the second half). The matches will be played at the recently built Mikuni World Stadium, just seven minutes on foot from Kokura Station. Come and support this international event and get in the mood for Rugby World Cup action coming to Fukuoka, Kumamoto, and Oita this fall.
• Preliminaries: 4/20 (Sat.) 10:30~18:15
• Finals: 4/21 (Sun.) 10:30~18:00
• Adv. ¥2,000/day, door ¥2,500/day
• Two-day ticket ¥3,500 (on sale until 4/19), *free for ES, JHS and HS from Kyushu and Yamaguchi Prefecture schools, must present student ID
• Mikuni World Stadium Kitakyushu
• 3-9-33 Asano, Kokurakita-ku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka
All photos ©JRFU