The following contents are based on the printed publication “Explore Itoshima”, published by Itoshima City in March 2019 and made in cooperation with Kyushu University students. For the most part, the text and photos are the same as in the printed publication.
Chinkaiseki Hachimangu Shrine
Chinkaiseki Hachimangu shrine is one of the most important shrines in Japanese history and it was mentioned in Japan’s oldest written records. The history dates back to 200 A.D. when it was said that the temple had miraculously helped the shogun’s empress with her prayers on a safe delivery.
With an ambient atmosphere and one-of-a-kind, European-style furnitures, this shop is perfect for wooden piece enthusiasts. Showcasing a large collection of classic and modern chairs, tables, and cabinets, this shop will surely present a delightful catalogue for those looking to furnish their homes with fancy furnitures.
It is a small yet cozy bakery. With an outdoor sitting area, it a perfect pitstop on the way to nearby sightseeing places. They offer a variety of breads such as bagels and panini, made without using margarine, shortening and eggs. Moreover, they use locally produced wheat. They also sell a delicious milk drink called ‘Itomonogatari’, which is a local speciality.
• 555-2 Nijo-fukae, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Open: 10:00~18:00
• Closed: Wed. & Thu.
• Access: 5 min. on foot from JR Chikuzen-Fukae Station
• Web: https://www.facebook.com/SANA-1642997062652191/
A tandem of frame shop and hairdressing parlor, this artistic shop offers beautiful, custom made wooden frames, intricately designed by a skilled craftsman. With a minimalistic interior overlooking the ocean, this shop will also provide luxurious hairdressing experience for that special ocassions.
Hakoshima shrine is located on an island at the tip of a cape, with its
3 sides surrounded by the sea. One can have both the sacred feeling while praying to the enshrined ‘god of love’ for success in love and family happiness and exploring a mountainous area while climbing the big rocks surrounding the temple.
• Nijo-hamakubo, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Access: 25 min. on foot from JR Ikisan Station
Studio Kura is an art company with three main purposes; organizing exhibitions, events and residencies, teaching art and producing art. The host wishes that the international resident artists will enjoy engaging with the unique community and environment in Itoshima.
Kirara-no-yu Nijo Onsen
Kirara-no-yu Supa has wooden bath and rock bath located both indoor and outdoor. Family bath is also available. Please enjoy one of the best quality radium onsen in Japan.
• 598-1 Nijo-fukae, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Open: 10:00~22:00
• Closed: 3rd Tue. (open if hol. then closed the next day)
• Entrance Fee: ¥550 (Family bath: ¥2,000)
• Access: 6 min. on foot from JR Chikuzen-Fukae Station
• Web: https://www.kiraranoyu.jp/
Looking for a serene spot to free your mind? Senjuin no Taki (waterfall) is the place for you. Tucked between the mountains of Nijo District of Itoshima City, the waterfall will give you a relaxing atmosphere to meditate and slow down for a while.
• Nijo-mitsuyoshi, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Access: 25 min. drive from Chikuzen-Maebaru Station. Approx 8 min. on foot from the parking lot.
Anego no Hama
Enjoy a tranquil beach at one end of Itoshima City in Nijo area! With its white sand and calm waves, this should be on your weekend travels when you visit Itoshima. This 1.1 km long beach is known for its best quality of sand; featuring the famed Nakisuna or squeaking sound that you can hear when you walk on sand. Furthermore, this place is a good spot to watch the sunset.
• Nijo-shikaka, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Parking and toilets are also available here for drivers and riders.
• Access: 20 min. on foot from JR Shikaka Station
When you enter the restaurant, authentic Thai cuisine with incredible sunset views are waiting for you! The nice and helpful Thai staff will greet you with warm smile and make you feel like you truly are in a restaurant in Thailand. Multilingual menu is well laid out and easy to understand. The food is really tasty and the desserts are beautifully served.
Fukufuku no Sato
Fukufuku no Sato is a fresh market located between Fukuyoshi and Dainyu Station. They sell fresh sh, agricultural products and processed products all from Itoshima. But be aware that by sunset, most of the products will be sold out, so it is recommended that you go as early as possible. Different seasons have different products in the market!
Fukuyoshi Oyster Huts
Itoshima oysters are products of Itoshima’s rich ocean. There are four oyster huts operating during the winter season from November to March. In addition to their delicious oysters, the huts sell a variety of seafood fresh out of the ocean. The grilling itself is self-service by using charcoal; where you dress up in a clean coat which is provided from the hut beforehand.
• 6067-7 Nijo-fukui, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Open: 9(10):00~17:00 *open during winter
• Closed: New Year’s hol.
• Access: 10~15 min. on foot from JR Fukuyoshi Station
• Tip: At the reception, put your name on a list to get a table and pick up all the necessities: cotton gloves, tongs, shucking knives, sauces and, of course, trays of fresh oysters.
Itoshima oysters are products of Itoshima’s ric
Mamushi-no-yu has variety of baths such as wine bath and green tea bath. The scenery is idyllic and relaxing. There is a legend that Monk Kukai opened to heal the wound people who were bitten by Mamushi pit viper.
• 2380-1 Nijo-yoshii, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Open: 10:00~22:00
• Entrance Fee: ¥650 (Family bath: ¥2,300)
• Access: Pick-up service available from JR Fukuyoshi Station.
• Web: http://www.mamushi-spa.co.jp/
Kamo Yurarinko Bridge & Nijo Valley Nature Trail
Kamo Yurarinko Bridge is a suspension bridge 100 m in length, 20 m in height and 1.2 m in width which spans the Kamo River. The beautiful valleys of the Genkai Nada rural scenery will greet visitors on the bridge. It is also the starting point of Nijo Valley Nature Trail to the beautiful Myojin no Taki (Waterfall).
• Nijo-fukui, Itoshima City, Fukuoka
• Access: 40 min. on foot from JR Dainyu Station
Want to explore Itoshima more? Click here.